Thursday, August 30, 2007

Baby born at sea on shrimp boat


FREEPORT TX - A ship's cook on a shrimp boat bound for Freeport, Texas, gave birth to a baby son while at sea. Cindy Preisel's baby wasn't due until mid-September, but she unexpectedly went into labor Wednesday while her boat, the Raindear, was miles from shore and out of radio range, The (Brazoria County, Texas) Facts reported Thursday. The ship’s captain, Ed Keisel, who delivered the child, said he noticed the baby was coming out feet first. "I reached with my fingers and as gently as I could and popped out his left shoulder and then his right," Keisel said. "But then the little guy was stuck by his head, being strangled. So I did the only thing I could -- I waited for a contraction and then slid my fingers in around the top of his head and scooped him out." Full Story - Offshore Magazine - Chewing Tobacco - World of Watches