Friday, August 10, 2007

An old woman must stop tending a public flower bed unless she agrees to wear a fluorescent jacket, put up warning signs, post a lookout


UK - June Turnbull, 79, of Urchfront near Devizes, has nurtured the blooms on the plot for six years.
But now she is being told to obey health and safety rules after being spotted by a county council official.
Mrs Turnbull said: "I was very angry, I mean it seems so petty bothering with what I do here. There's just no point."
Peter Hanson, divisional highways manager at Wiltshire County Council, said: "We are always happy to work with individuals and organisations that are willing to help improve the appearance of local roads through improvements such as flower beds.
I love doing it. I want to make it as pretty as I possibly can
June Turnbull
"However, to ensure this type of work is done safely they need to seek permission from us to enable us to check there are no local safety issues, such as underground wires or pipes.
"We also require that people undertaking this type of work follow the same safety procedures as our own staff to ensure they are not put at risk. " Full Story - Macys